Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Dharamshala cricket

Exactly a year after I came to Dharamshala for the very first time to cover cricket, I've been sent back - for the same reason.
Only this time, the general hysteria has gotten even louder - Pakistan begin their tour of India in this little known hill station/HQ of the Dalai Lama. And though the rain gods haven't been kind so far, the people here will get to see their sometimes hated (and sometimes loved) neighbours from beyond the mountatins in action for some time atleast.

As for me, I'm not exactly the most gruntled person around for two reasons:

1. Covering cricket for a tv channel has got to be the only job in the world that looks as cool as it is bad. You work all day and pester the cricketers for that all important soundbite. And at the end of the day, you feel lousy about the whole deal.

2. What am I doing covering cricket in Dharamshala when I can go to the Tibetean temple, trek through the Dauladhar mountains and generally have a good time?

I'm going to close my eyes and do this on autopilot. The job doesn't need brains anyway!

3 comments:

smoke said...

stay on for a few more days and do all that trekking. smell the mountains. then come back and blog about it :-)

Alaphia Zoyab said...

Kunda.. knowing you, you'd probably trek on auto-pilot anyway. Cricket or no cricket. But there is something about being in those beautiful places that makes the work seem wonderful and fun too. Or is it just me?

Alaphia Zoyab said...

Kunda.. knowing you, you'd probably trek on auto-pilot anyway. Cricket or no cricket. But there is something about being in those beautiful places that makes the work seem wonderful and fun too. Or is it just me?