Friday, January 30, 2004

Master & Commander

You can't understand the nautical references and parts of the dialogue in
Master & Commander - The Far Side of the World.

But big deal - it's still a good film to watch. I've seen it twice.

I was broke the whole of last week. So when I got my salary yesterday, I went to the nearest
theatre. I'd already seen it more than a week back, but I went anyway - just to trip
on the pictures and the music.

The film's cinematography is unbelievably good. It is set in the era of the Napoleanic Wars
and being a sea adventure, every frame in the film looks like a painting.
Watching it is like seeing the works of Constable and Turner on film.
Both these painters lived during this era and were famous for their sea & nature stills.

The film is based on Patrick O Brian's famous book series "Master & Commander".
In preparation for the film, I'd started reading the first part, but haven't finished it yet.
Good thing too, because I'm still determined not to read fiction this year.

I suddenly don't feel like saying anything else.

No comments: