Friday, June 18, 2004

The Wasteland

For five days, each time I went to the loo, I went
with a copy of TS Eliot's The Wasteland.
(Come dear reader, do not think of any obvious puns, I'm trying
to say something here)

Since random observations seem to be the flavour of the month,
here're some -

1. The poem is impossible to understand, unless you're a scholar
in the classical languages.
2. Annotations will help - but only to a certain extent.
3. Great fun to read aloud - because Eliot's fractured
prose has great power and even a certain rhythm.
4. Eliot's imagery reminded me of some horror films I've seen,
most notably Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula. And it reminded
me of The Garden of Earthly Delights - Hieronymous
Bosch's infamous painting.
5. Someday, I'm going to figure the whole thing out.
 
If you want to read it, here it is: The Wasteland



1 comment:

JP said...

This is so weird, Kunda - I used to read The Wasteland in the bog for a while too.

Apart from classical languages, there are mythical references as well - the waste land itself relating the poem to the legend of the fisher king. And there's some tarot stuff in there too.